Twitter axed 142k apps and 130M ‘low-quality’ Tweets 1 week of Q1 in its fight against spam

Twitter is making good on its pledge to fight the persistent problems of spam, bots, harassment, and misinformation that have plagued the social platform for years. Today, in its generally positive Q1 earnings report, the company announced that changes that it has made related to TweetDeck and its API — two of the most common […]

View More Twitter axed 142k apps and 130M ‘low-quality’ Tweets 1 week of Q1 in its fight against spam

Dan Harmon reunited a lost drone with its pilot using the power of Twitter

TwitterFacebook

In the digital wasteland that is 2018 Twitter, a beacon of hope now shines.

With the help of the social network, comedian Dan Harmon was able to reunite a lost drone with its pilot — all, of course, thanks to the good people of the internets.

On Tuesday, Harmon tweeted that he’d found a “pricey looking” drone in his backyard, noting, “I guess drones are officially the new kite.” Tru.

I found a drone in my yard after holidays. If you live in my hood and know where I am, leave me a note w/ info. I feel bad because it’s a pricey looking drone and I’m scared a kid got it for xmas and their parents were like “you’re gonna lose it” and i hate when parents are right

— Dan Harmon (@danharmon) January 31, 2018 Read more…

More about Twitter, Community, Drones, Rick And Morty, and Dan Harmon

View More Dan Harmon reunited a lost drone with its pilot using the power of Twitter

‘Rick and Morty’ co-creator Dan Harmon delivers raw account and apology for sexual harassment

TwitterFacebook

Every time new sexual misconduct allegation come to light, the fallout is double fold. First, we have to reckon with the awful abuse someone inflicted on someone else. Then, we suffer through yet another infuriating, vague, gutless, self-aggrandizing, template “apology.”

But Dan Harmon, creator of Community and Rick and Morty, just proved that true remorse — and even reconciliation — is possible, in the right circumstanceOn his HarmonTown podcast, the showrunner spent about seven minutes (starting at 18:40) owning up to his harassment of female Community writer Megan Ganz.

Ganz responded on Twitter by calling it “a masterclass in How to Apologize.” And after years of struggling to overcome the abusive experience, she finally felt ready to say it: “Dan Harmon, I forgive you.” Read more…

More about Entertainment, Community, Sexual Harassment, Rick And Morty, and Dan Harmon

View More ‘Rick and Morty’ co-creator Dan Harmon delivers raw account and apology for sexual harassment

‘Rick and Morty’ showrunner apologizes to female writer in raw Twitter exchange

TwitterFacebook

Without getting too specific, Rick and Morty show runner Dan Harmon has apologized to writer Megan Ganz on Twitter for what both imply was repeated inappropriate behavior while they worked together.

It began with the following tweet, to which Ganz responded “Care to elaborate? Redemption follows allocution.”

This was truly the Year of the Asshole. Myself included. We don’t have to make 2018 the Year of the Mensch but I hope it can be the Year of the Not as Much of an Asshole#RealisticGoals

— Dan Harmon (@danharmon) January 1, 2018

More about Entertainment, Twitter, Television, Community, and Sexual Harassment

View More ‘Rick and Morty’ showrunner apologizes to female writer in raw Twitter exchange

These are the best Christmas episodes to watch this weekend

TwitterFacebook

No holiday this century would be complete without a carefully curated list of television episodes. Because there is literally more TV than is humanly survivable, we limited our list to eight personal fave picks and a relative mix of old and new that complement each other. Just don’t overthink it – it’s Christmas!

Also – not an episode so it doesn’t count – do yourself a favor and start out with this jam from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 1:

1The O.C. Season 1, episode 13: “The Best Chrismukkah Ever”

How many TV shows can lay claim to creating a holiday word? (Yes, we see you, Festivus. That’s good too.) But The OC’s Chrismukkah episode was such a perfect blend of all that made the teen dramedy better than it had any right to be: a clever idea, a lot of heart, a little romance and, duh, great tunes. Take a break from your family and hang out with the Cohens. Read more…

More about Entertainment, Television, Netflix, Community, and Hulu

View More These are the best Christmas episodes to watch this weekend

We spoke to four people doing amazing things in their community about why they give back

TwitterFacebook

It’s no secret that taking time out of your busy life to give back to your community is a good idea — it has even been found to help improve your health. But for some people, giving back is not only second nature but also their life’s work. 

We spoke with four people who are doing amazing things in their local communities across the country to learn more about what they’re doing and why it is so important to them. 

A vision for literacy

Image: KATHRYN STARKE

As a former elementary school teacher, literacy education has always been important to Kathryn Starke. Now, she works full-time with her company Creative Minds Publications to improve children’s literacy, with a focus in her hometown of Richmond, Virginia. Her efforts largely involve helping failing schools become fully accredited in reading, but also include hosting writing workshops at local libraries, author visits, and literacy nights at schools to encourage parents to work on reading with their kids at home.  Read more…

More about Supported, Community, Volunteering, Nonprofit, and Afi 2017

View More We spoke to four people doing amazing things in their community about why they give back